The upcoming Obi-Wan show on Disney+ will feature a rematch between Obi-Wan and Darth Vader, but the series may have end up revolving around a different conflict entirely.
THR reports that Ray Park, who played Darth Maul in The Phantom Menace, was originally set to reprise the role. The report says early versions of the story featured Darth Maul hunting down Obi-Wan and a young Luke Skywalker, before the plot was changed to avoid covering similar ground to the Mandalorian’s Baby Yoda plotline.
According to THR’s sources, Park was on set for preproduction and stunt training, and that there may have even been some footage shot. Ultimately, though, Maul was reportedly written out of the show in favor of Darth Vader and the Grand Inquisition.
It’s worth noting that another one of THR’s sources from Lucasfilm said Maul was never a part of the plan for Obi-Wan at all.
While the extent of Darth Maul’s involvement isn’t entirely clear, we do know that the Obi-Wan project underwent serious rewrites during production. In January 2020, the show was put on hold “indefinitely” because Lucasfilm president and Obi-Wan producer Kathleen Kennedy was unhappy with the script. Just last week, we learned Kennedy scrapped the original scripts because they were too bleak.
Originally introduced in Episode I: The Phantom Menace, Darth Maul was a memorable if underused part of the first prequel film. While that movie ended with Obi-Wan defeating (and seemingly killing) Darth Maul, the character would eventually return to the screen in The Clone Wars and Rebels television shows. In fact, Star Wars Rebels features a meeting between Maul and Obi-Wan on Tatooine, so it’s possible the Obi-Wan writers decided to leave that plotline alone. Darth Maul also appears at the end of Solo, as the teased villain for a sequel that will seemingly never happen.
Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi – Teaser Trailer Gallery
While there may be no Darth Maul, Obi-Wan will feature a pair of other villains. Inquisitor Reva appears in the Obi-Wan trailer, threatening Uncle Owen while presumably on the hunt for Jedi. And, of course, Hayden Christensen will return as Darth Vader. The show is set to debut on Disney Plus on May 25.
For more, check out our analysis of the first Obi-Wan trailer. Or, read what Obi-Wan star Ewan McGregor is saying about the recent wave of Star Wars prequel positivity.
Logan Plant is a freelance writer for IGN. You can find him on Twitter @LoganJPlant.